MIDVAAL LOCAL MUNICIPALITY SPATIAL DEVELOPMENT FRAMEWORK DOCUMENT FOR PUBLIC COMMENTS: Midvaal SDF Discussion Document (1)
DRAFT MIDVAAL SPATIAL DEVELOPMENT FRAMEWORK (Stakeholder Engagement Sessions)
Communities are invited to participate in stakeholder engagement sessions for the compilation of the new Draft Midvaal Spatial Development Framework. Join us at any of the listed engagements to discuss the proposed spatial development trajectory for Midvaal. For more information: Download the Stakeholder Engagement Sessions Download the Stakeholder Engagement Sessions
- Development within the Midvaal Local Municipality is managed and promoted by way of a Municipal Spatial Development Framework, which is supported by a number of Development Policies and the Midvaal Land Use Scheme. The purpose of these plans and policies is to align to the spatial vision of the municipality; to indicate where the municipality may support development; and provide certainty for the private sector pertaining to the most appropriate areas to acquire land and to invest in business, commercial, and industrial development. The Spatial Development Framework is based on 10 Development Principles.
To protect and actively manage the natural environmental resources in the Midvaal Municipal Area in order to ensure a sustainable equilibrium between agricultural, tourism, industrial/ manufacturing and mining activities, as well as urbanisation pressures in the area.
To facilitate and enhance agricultural production in the municipal area by actively protecting all land earmarked for agricultural purposes, and to target agricultural holdings for innovative small scale farming and agro processing.
To promote tourism development through the active utilization of tourism resources available like the Vaal Dam, the Ridges Precincts, and the Nature Reserves in the area.
To pro-actively plan, design and facilitate the establishment of a Development Corridor along the R59 freeway.
To facilitate the development of a hierarchy of sustainable Activity Nodes in partnership with stakeholders to ensure equitable access to social infrastructure, and to promote Local Economic Development in the urban and rural parts of the municipality.
To capitalise on the strategic location of the municipality by way of regional and provincial linkages, and to establish an internal movement network comprising a hierarchy of roads which include a comprehensive public transport network and services.
Industrial, Commercial, Mining Activity
To promote the development of a diverse range of industrial, commercial and mining activities in the Midvaal area through partnerships with the private sector, and with specific focus along the R59 Corridor and at the designated nodal points.
Human Settlement Development
To provide for a wide range of bonded and subsidised housing typologies and tenure alternatives within clearly defined Strategic Development Areas, and to continuously manage residential densification by way of the Midvaal Density Policy.
To delineate an Urban Development Boundary to encourage consolidated urban development and to protect high potential agricultural land and sensitive environments.
Targeted Engineering Infrastructure Investment:
To prioritise the bulk of short to medium term upgrading/provision of engineering services to nodal areas within the Urban Development Boundary.
SPATIAL DEVELOPMENT FRAMEWORK
- 2021/2022 Spatial Development Framework
- 2019/2020 Approved Final Midvaal Spatial Development Framework
- Midvaal Spatial Development Framework 2013 – 2014
- Draft Midvaal SDF Public Participation Invitation
- De Deur Urban Node Precinct Plan 2021
- Walkerville Precinct Plan 2017
- Doornkuil Prencinct Plan 2017
- Draft Midvaal Agricultural Growth Strategy 2016
- Elandsfontein Precinct Plan – May 2013
- Midvaal CBD Precinct Plan – Jan 2011
- Tedderfield Precinct Plan – Jan 2011
- Waterval Precinct Plan – Jan 2011
- Sicelo Precinct Plan – Dec 2010
- Aloe Ridge Spatial Plan 2021
- Meyerton CBD – Final Implementation Programme, Investment Plan and Commercialization Proposal
PUBLIC PARTICIPATION ENGAGEMENT (Development of Dolomite Land)
- Download the recording