- The Midvaal Local Municipality is one of three local municipalities within the Sedibeng District Municipality, which constitutes the southern parts of Gauteng Province, the economic hub of South Africa.
- Together with the Emfuleni municipal area, Midvaal represents the major centre of economic activity in this part of the province with economic activity being predominantly industrial, however also including agricultural, mining, tourism and commercial business activities.
- To the north, the Midvaal Local Municipality directly borders the City of Johannesburg and the Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality, which hosts the largest concentration of industrial activity in South Africa and the OR Tambo International Airport. Midvaal is ideally linked to these areas via the R59 freeway, which runs from north to south through the central parts of Midvaal and is widely promoted as one of the emerging development corridors in the Gauteng Province.
Manufacturing – 29.5%
Financial and Business Services – 18.5%
Trade – 14.5%
General Government Services – 9.4%
Construction – 7.4%
The Midvaal Local Municipality is a well governed, effectively managed, financially viable and sustainable, organization that is dedicated to creating an environment conducive to growth. This is reflected in its Vision and Mission Statements.
VISION: Midvaal will be renowned for robust economic growth and a high quality of life for all.
MISSION: We strive to enhance and sustain the quality of life in our urban and rural areas, promoting an open opportunity society for all that will result in robust economic growth.
Today, Midvaal Local Municipality is the fastest growing and developing municipality in the southern parts of the Gauteng Province and strives to achieve:
- Sustainable delivery of quality and affordable services, including free basic services for the poor;
- An integrated and diverse economy that provides opportunities for all;
- Integrated spatial planning that promotes economic and social inclusion;
- A well-planned and controlled environment through a range of development policies and instruments.
The Municipality implements its mandated powers, duties and functions by way of a system of Integrated Development Planning which is based on the following strategic focus areas:
- Economic growth and development;
- Quality and sustainable urban infrastructure and affordable services;
- Energy efficient and environmentally conscious operations
- Effective, efficient and planned public transport network;
- Integrated and sustainable human settlements;
- Health, social and community development;
- Safety and security for all;
- An efficient, effective, transparent and accountable local municipality
Individual Ward Maps can be downloaded here
Download PDF version of Political Office Bearers Here